Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 1

Ok, so as of today, I have decided to adopt the "Everyman Sleep Schedule," which, for those of you that have not heard from me already, is the practice of sleeping for short amounts multiple times in the day. The Everyman consists of a three-hour "core sleep" at night and three twenty-minute naps roughly evenly spaced throughout the day. The whole point of this polyphasic sleep pattern is that supposedly it makes one's sleep much more efficient, requiring them to sleep less and do fun stuff for longer. Also, it supposedly enhances performance/awareness/energy, etc. Basically, it's supposed to be good stuff.

However, the transition sucks. Everyone knows that I already sleep not a lot and at weird times, so one would think that it would be easy for me, right? Wrong. Although I was fine for a long while after only three hours of sleep, the trouble came when I actually had to wait to take a nap. My roommate can easily testify that I was pretty loopy by the time I finally collapsed in bed. The nap was nice, but did I mention that it's only twenty minutes!? WAY too short when you're really tired. Thankfully my roommate was there to actually get me out of bed, because every ounce of my body wanted nothing more than to ignore the alarm I set, which is what I am used to doing.

Luckily, I had plenty of stuff to do until the next nap, which was also readily welcomed. Once again I woke up dead-tired with the urge to collapse, but this time I had set multiple alarms so I was able to get out of bed, though I lacked the strength to do much more than lie on the floor...

Finally my last nap came around, the time being about 1:00 in the morning. Same deal. Get startled by a bunch of alarms and feel like crap. Thankfully, my normal nocturnal-ness kicked in and I had the energy to get my homework done. Now, I am finding things to do with my extra time- until I sleep again at 3:00 for three whole hours. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment