Monday, January 25, 2010

Days 4 and 5

So as many of you know, I've kind of messed up the schedule :( On day four, things were actually looking positive- I managed to beat my nap-alarm by a few seconds. Unfortunately... I also managed to doze off around midnight before setting an alarm. I then proceeded to wake up 11 hours later. Doh. Since there was no chance of me falling asleep during that day, I decided I should just pick up the next day, which also didn't end up happening, because I went home to visit the family and thought I should be coherent for that. So basically, I am back to starting from scratch. Awesome!

Now, I would like to take this time to address all of my "fans." Although they are all loving and supportive (some more or less than others), there are a few things they must understand about this attempt of mine to do something crazy. First of all, I am not trying to prove anything with this- simply, the whole idea of needing less sleep and feeling great sounds pretty enticing, so why not give it a shot? If you are too weak, too boring, or just too scared to try it yourself, then don't. A French historian once said, "Those who expect moments of change to be comfortable and free of conflict have not learned their history." The same principle applies to this: If I may seem tired, exhausted, or just completely out of it at first... what did you expect? Sleeping less for a day never did anyone any good.

If there is anything to take away from this, it is this: There are two types of people in this metaphor- knights and goblins. For those of you who never knew or were miseducated, goblins are the little ratty things that set traps, hide, and wait for someone else to suffer so they can jump on them and take advantage of their mistakes. Knights, as we all probably know, are the courageous guys that slay dragons and get the chicks. Speaking of which, when's the last time anybody every faced a dragon? Imagining for a moment that they existed, that's some scary crap. Just watch "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," and pretend to be Harry without a wand or a lightning-fast broom. Gooood luck with that. Anyways, back to the metaphor. It's so easy for everyone to simply be one of those goblins, just waiting around, doing their thing until something bad happens to someone else. But those goblins don't go anywhere- why do you think they are never the heroes of fairy tales? No, it's the knights that are remembered for their bravery and will to succeed, even against something as impossible and ludicrous as battling a dragon. I'm sure it's pretty clear how this metaphor relates to this whole sleep schedule attempt, so I am simply going to leave you with this- after the dragon is slain, YO NEXT GOBLINZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment